Monday, October 20, 2008

Fall Foods, Brussels Sprouts with Carrots


As evenings are getting cooler, we are enjoying cozy foods. I made this dish last night and it was a hit, people dug in heartily for seconds. That's how I know.

Brussels Sprouts/Carrots

1 large chopped shallot
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 lb carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
1 lb Brussels sprouts, stemmed, halved lengthwise
1/3 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon vinegar (any kind, I used red wine)

Saute the shallot in 2 of the 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet, stirring occasionally until soft.
Add the veggies and a dose of salt and pepper, cook, stirring occasionally until they start to brown.
Add broth, lower heat and cover, for about ten minutes.
Add vinegar, more salt and pepper to taste, and last bit 'o butter.

Yum. Rich and hearty. Bon appetite.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm laughing because just today, I saw a recipe entitled "Brussel Sprouts You'll Actually Want to Eat." I think this recipe could be in that category. :-)